Leave the night on

Hey there friends!
Recently, my mama was cleaning out her basement. She came across two nightstands and gave them to me. So, I took them to see if I could do anything with them. I lovingly came to call them Oscar and Felix, which I felt was more than appropriate since the only thing this odd couple had in common was their height. Unfortunately, they didn’t really have that going for them either :/ I knew I had to marry them together with the same finish and hardware and of course solve the height problem. I just needed inspiration and whilst out shopping at  Z Gallerie I saw some amazing pieces in an metallic finish. Eureka! I loved it except I would have to tweak mine a bit to give it more of an antique look. Buzzing on my new found inspiration and caffeine I got to work!

 

I removed all of the old hardware. So long 1980’s brass! I then sanded down everything to remove the old polyurethane so my paint will properly adhere to it. To solve the height problem I decided to raise them up by using coffee table legs that you can get at any hardware store. I drilled pilot holes for them and simply screwed them in. Then I primed everything using a miraculous bonding primer by Valspar (You can find it at Lowes). This stuff is amaze balls!!! After the primer I spray painted both tables in a couple coats of metallic silver. I followed the silver up by spray painting both pieces in metallic gold. However, you don’t want to cover up the silver. So, hold the can further back until you can gently mist the furniture. This will allow the silver to show with just a hint of gold.

 

After the paint was fully dried, I applied an antique glaze by Valspar. Using very little of it on a 2″ Purdy brush I painted it on using a dabbing, up and down motion to get the texture I wanted. Do your best to keep the look uniformed all over. Once you are finished with the glaze you must allow for it to set up for 24 hrs. Although it is fully dried after that, remember it is still just a glaze and can smudge or rub off (More on this later). I felt like my pieces needed a little more visual interest. So, I found this french scroll frame that I loved online. I printed it to the size I needed. I covered it in box tape on both sides and then cut out the design using an exacto knife to create a stencil. Using some acrylic paint and a small stencil brush I dabbed it on where desired. After it was completely dry it needed protection.

 

Remember how I mentioned the glaze could smudge or rub off? Well in order to prevent that from happening I found that Valspar’s clear coat in spray paint form is key. It covers evenly with the same protection as the original poly. For this project I really wanted my antique metallic finish to POP! So, I selected a semi-gloss in my clear coat. To finish off my look I replaced the old hardware with some beautiful new ones in an heirloom silver finish. I will let the results speak for themselves. Let me know what you think and if you are trying the look for yourself and have any questions, feel free to ask! Until next time…

Sign Off 2Processed with MoldivProcessed with VSCOcam with f2 presetphoto 5-30Processed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 presetphoto 4-45Processed with VSCOcam with g3 preset

 

 

photo 1-64Processed with VSCOcam with f2 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s