Chalk it up to a bad dream…..

This weeks challenge was converting a tacky vintage dresser into a more modern media console. Now, I’m sure this dresser was fine in it’s day but today it simply won’t do. I did choose it however for its fun, heavy hardware and lovely details. I feel like it has a lot of personality and spunk! Haha. I also just wanted an excuse to use some chalk paint!!!! (If you aren’t familiar with chalkboard paint, you can get it at your local Lowes and they can tint it to any hue you desire or you can invest a little more into Annie Sloan’s brand.) I know what you’re thinking but stick with me. It will leave you with a slate-looking finish that is absolutely stunning.) There really isn’t anything complicated about this process. Begin by removing the drawers from the dresser, and remove all hardware with a screwdriver. Fill any problem areas with wood putty. Once dry, a good sanding with a 100 grit will scruff it up plenty enough for the primer to stick.

Processed with VSCOcam with t1 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with t1 preset

Which you guessed it is the next step. Paint the entire frame and drawer fronts with a couple coats of primer. You don’t want the wood absorbing your chalk paint. Its so much cheaper if the wood absorbs the primer. Processed with VSCOcam with t1 presetWhile the primer was drying I laid my hardware out on a large piece of cardboard. I spray painted them with a special paint formulated for metal in an oil rubbed bronze finish. Then it was time to apply the chalk paint. I ended up doing two coats because I didn’t care for how it looked after just one. This is where I took a detour from what most painters do. Instead of applying soft wax I went with polyurethane instead and I’ll tell you why. Since I was intending it to be used as a media console I knew how warm blu-ray players and game systems can get. I couldn’t have it melting my wax but I still needed durability. Also, with wax you have to reapply it every few months and I don’t know about you but I ain’t got time for that! Shew! So I turned to old faithful, water-based poly. A couple of coats and voila! You can chalk that old dresser up to just a really bad dream. Enjoy the before & after pics below along with mama’s little helper!Sign Off 2photo 3-23photo 4-22Processed with VSCOcam with t1 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with t1 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with t1 preset

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s