Vintage Dreams

Hey y’all! I was out thrifting recently with my husband and came across some true beauties. Masked underneath years of neglect were these glorious antique wood chairs complete with acorn finials and lovely quatrefoil lattice details. So, it was a no brainer! I immediately bought them and had my husband help me load them into the back of our truck. As we drove home I sat there imagining all of the possibilities, much like a small child dreaming of Christmas morning.The wood frames were pretty rough in some places and the original upholstery was long gone. It was going to take some work but I knew they were worth fighting for. So, I rolled up my sleeves (Rosie the riveter style) and got down to business.

Processed with VSCOcam with g3 preset I began by removing the tattered old seat cushions. Now my wood frames were free from any obstructions and I could begin to repair them.Processed with VSCOcam with g3 presetI filled a couple of nicks with wood putty and let them dry. When all was good I started sanding them down. First with a 100 grit and then went back over them with a 220 grit to make sure they were smooth to the touch. I didn’t worry about removing all of the original stain. Since I decided to paint them I only needed to scruff them up enough to give the paint something to grab onto. Processed with VSCOcam with g3 presetOnce sanded, I was ready to paint. I applied the first coat and left them to dry while I switched gears and turned my attention to the upholstery.Processed with VSCOcam with g3 preset

I removed the old seat coverings and cushions by prying up the staples with a flat head screw driver. I had to use the ol’ pliers to pull out some of the more difficult ones. Once the seats were a fresh palette I flipped them upside down on top of the new cushions I had purchased. Pulling the outer edges of the cushions out and over the lip of the seat I secured them into place using an electric staple gun. Then I cut my upholstery fabric and stapled it just like I did with the cushions.

Processed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with g3 presetFinally the second coat on my wood frames were dry and all that was left for me to do was reattach the cushions. The before and after pic of the cushions are pretty dramatic alone but if you really want your mind blown check out these lovely little darlings below!!! Enjoy!Processed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with g3 preset

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Vintage Dreams

    • Yes I used a few coats of a water-based poly for added protection. No point in going to all that trouble if its not going to last. Unless you are going for a distressed look then I wouldn’t worry about it. Also one more thing you might want to think about is the color. Poly can sometimes alter the color a bit because polyurethane often leaves an amber tint. Hope this helps! Good luck with your swing 🙂

  1. Pingback: Kitchen Fable | Instant Interiors

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s